Skylab’s mastering suite was designed with hummingbird precision by Chief Mastering Engineer Gerry King and acoustician/inventor Doug Magyari (Golden Acoustics) to offer our clients a very precise and relaxing mixing and mastering environment.
The room is furnished and positioned with precise seating and custom furniture that allows for unobstructed paths from the playback system.
By designing an acoustically less obstructive and highly diffused environment, we’ve accomplished a listening room that is comfortable, precise, productive and very easy to listen in. Mixing and mastering in this environment takes on a whole new feel and perception. Mixes translate into the real world with more consistency and accuracy than conventional studio mixing rooms. Conventional mixing rooms present a lot of challenges in keeping the room acoustics in favor for critical listening. Large mixing consoles and equipment racks often obstruct the clear paths to the listener’s ears.
We offer mixing, mastering, audio restoration, format transfers and forensics audio from many varying formats. Our goal is to optimize and preserve your music’s sonic value so that it consistently retains it’s clarity and punch regardless of what type of playback system it is played through. In other words, to help your music to sound as good through an ipod as it will through your car stereo or home stereo.
Unlike the mastering houses that push projects through an assembly line of presets, each project
we master at Skylab is treated as a custom project. The gear and settings we use will be chosen
according to your sound and style, and done so with care and attention to detail.
Features and Specs
- Golden Acoustics E18SC Panels
- Golden Acoustics ES Panels
- GK Labs Wide-band Helholtz Resonators
- GK Labs 6″ Bass Traps
- GK Labs 4″ Wall Traps
- Sonex “HARMONI” Ceiling Tiles
- USG Glacier Ceiling Tiles
- Floating bamboo floors
- Anthony Gallo Acoustics- Nucleus Reference 3.1,
- Meridian Sub-woofer.
- Nu Force – Reference 9 main mono Block class-D amplifiers,
- Gallo Acoustics – SR
- Custom Cabling by: Nerve Audio, DH Labs, Synergistic Research, GK Labs and Audioquest.
- iMac 27″ i5 Quad Core
- Custom Core 2 Duo PC
- Custom P5 for digital metering
Clocking & Conversion:
- Antelope OCX Master Clock with Atomic Clock Input, 32-192kHz, Superclock Output, and Jitter Management Module
- Universal Audio Apollo high resolution interface with UAD Processing
- Audiophile 192k
- Z-Systems conversion
- UAD2 Satellite
- UAD Ampex ATR-102
- Slate Digital FGX
- Waves Diamond Bundle
- Waves SSL Collection
- Voxengo CurveEQ
- Voxengo Elephant
- Z-Systems RDP1
- Otari MX-5050 II-2 1/4″ analog tape machine
- Tascam 122 MKIII Cassette deck
- Tascam DA-30MKII
- DAT (Digital Audio cassette)
- MD (Mini Disc)
- 1/4″ Stereo (1/2 track, 3-3/8, 7.5, 15 IPS)
- 1/4″ Stereo (1/4 Track, 3-3/8, 7.5, 15 IPS)
- Audio Cassette
- Phono LP (33-1/3, 45, 78rpm)